Some popular video addons for Kodi already have automatic subtitles capabilities and that’s great, but some times you need more control over your selection process to get the right subtitles for your video. In this guide we’ll enable subtitles on Kodi using a couple of addons so you can watch all your shows and movies on Kodi with subtitles in any language.
Install subtitles addons on Kodi
Set up subtitles on Kodi
[Optional] How to enable automatic subtitles on Kodi with Autosubs
If you use subtitles often you may find that clicking on Subtitles > Download every time you start a video can be a bit annoying. Lets solve that by installing the Autosubs service. .
When choosing a subtitles file keep in mind the video quality and try to match it with the subtitle file name, this way you’ll have better chances of getting the right subtitles for your video. Most addons scrapping file locker websites for sources will show a truncated filename which makes finding the right subtitle harder.
How to install the official OpenSubtitles addon
OpenSubtitles.org has its own addon for Kodi called OpenSubtitles by OpenSubtitles. This addon doesn’t require authentication and it gives you access to their extensive collection of subtitles in several languages.
- Download the addon from its GitHub page or using this link, remember the downloaded file’s location.
- Open Kodi and click on Add-ons > Add-on Browser (the box icon on the top-left corner) > Install from zip file.
- Locate the downloaded zip file and click on it to install the addon.
If you want to search for subtitles before playing a video you can install the Context Menu addon for OpenSubtitles, it only works with OpenSubtitles.
Don’t forget to remove the old OpenSubtitles addon if you already installed it. The OpenSubtitles addon available on the official Kodi repository requires an OpenSubtitles account to work. You can read more about the official OpenSubtitles addon on OpenSubtitles’ forum.
These are some of the most popular Kodi add-ons for December 2018:
- Exodus Redux: New add-on based on Exodus, it uses Lambda Scrapers to get sources from file hosting websites.
- Yoda: Based on Exodus, scrapes sources from file hosting websites.
- Seren: New add-on written from scratch with very innovative features like playing next episodes automatically, requires Debrid and Trakt accounts.
- Elementum: High quality videos using Torrents.
- Masterani Redux: Subtitled and dubbed anime.
- Plexus: Live sports using AceStream or SopCast.
- Sparkle: Search AceStreams on several subreddits, great addition to Plexus.