The Promise is a Kodi add-on that allows you to stream movies and TV shows using free, premium and official sources. Forked from The Oath, The Promise has all the feature from its predecessor.
This add-on offers many features including Trakt support, library integration, free sources, premium accounts from Real Debrid, Premiumize, All Debrid, and more. It can also find sources in official streaming services if you have the corresponding accounts and add-ons installed.
In this guide, we’re going to install The Promise on Kodi 19.4 Matrix. Let’s get started!
1. The Promise Overview
|Features||Movies and TV shows|
|Premium Sources||Real Debrid, Premiumize, All Debrid|
|Source Type||File hosting websites and cached torrents|
|Other Features||Integrated subtitles, file downloads, Orion indexer support, Providers for official streaming services|
2. How to install The Promise on Kodi
If this is your first time installing add-ons on Kodi, you will need to allow the installation of unofficial add-ons. Please read How to allow 3rd-party add-ons on Kodi and come back here when you’re ready.
2.1. Install TheWareHouse repository
We’ll start by adding a link to TheWareHouse source on GitHub, this allows us to download the repository zip file directly on Kodi.
1. Press the cog icon near the top left corner of the screen to open the Settings menu.
2. Select File Manager.
3. Press Add Source.
4. Enter https://warehousecrates.github.io/TheWareHouse/ on the top box and TheWareHouse on the bottom one. Press OK to add the source. (The URL is case-sensitive).
Now that we added the link, let’s use it to install the repository.
5. Go back to the Settings menu and this time select Add-ons.
6. Click on Install from zip file.
On Kodi 19, you’ll see a message about the auto-update feature. Press Yes to proceed.
7. Select TheWareHouse.
8. Click on repository.thewarehouse-x.x.x.zip to install the repository.
Wait a couple of seconds while the repository is downloaded and installed. You’ll see a notification when the process finishes.
2.2. Install The Promise add-on
Now that we installed the repository, we’ll use it to install the add-on and its dependencies.
9. Press Install from repository.
10. Click The WareHouse Repository.
11. Select Video add-ons.
12. Select The Promise.
13. Press the Install button.
14. Press OK to install The Promise and its dependencies.
Wait a couple of seconds for the installation process to finish. You’ll see a notification when it’s done.
15. Go back to the Home Screen, you should now see a shortcut to The Promise on the Add-ons tab. Press it to open the add-on.
16. All done! Use the menu to browse movies and TV shows.
You can now stream movies and TV shows using The Promise and Kodi.
The Promise has an integrated subtitles feature, but if you need more control over the subtitle selection process, please read How to enable subtitles on Kodi.
3. Additional Settings
Let’s take a look at some popular features of The Promise. These steps are optional, but can improve your user experience.
3.1. Using Real Debrid with The Promise
File hosting sites often limit file availability and bandwidth for free users. Using premium accounts gives you unrestricted access to several file hosters and cached torrents, it can greatly improve the quality and quantity of available sources.
In this example, we’ll use Real Debrid. A popular service to get unrestricted access to various file hosters and cached torrents for a very low price.
Before starting, we recommend logging into your Real Debrid account using a web browser.
1. Select Tools from The Promise’s main menu.
2. Press ResolveURL: Settings.
3. Select the Universal Resolver 2 tab and Press (Re)Authorize My Account in the Real Debrid section.
4. Copy the authorization code.
5. Use a web browser to visit https://real-debrid.com/device/ and enter the authorization code. (You must be logged in with your Real Debrid account).
6. Enter ThePromise and press Set that name.
You can now use The Promise with premium sources.
Navigate the add-on’s menu to select a movie or episode. Once you’ve made your choice, The Promise will show a selectable list of available sources.
7. Select a source to start playing the video.
Free sources are displayed in white, premium sources in orange, and official sources in green. There are 3 types of premium sources:
- Cached Torrent: The file is already on the Real Debrid cloud, and it is ready to be downloaded.
- File Locker Site: The file will be downloaded directly from the specified File Hosting website.
- Uncached Torrent: The magnet link or torrent file will be transferred to the Real Debrid cloud, where it will be downloaded and made available to you as soon as possible. Waiting time depends on the number of seeds/peers available. You can see the download progress on the Real Debrid website under My Torrents.
When using a Debrid service, your device won’t connect directly to the P2P network. Every download is encrypted by HTTPS protocol.
3.2. Using Trakt With The Promise
Trakt.tv is a free service that helps you organize and keep track of your favorite movies and shows. Using a Trakt account is very helpful when you want to sync your watched status across devices.
The Promise can integrate with your Trakt account, giving you access to your collection, lists, and bookmarks.
It is also capable of scrobbling, so using the official Trakt add-on is optional. Scrobbling means automatically checking in your watched episodes and movies on the cloud.
To use Trakt with The Promise, visit the Trakt.tv website, log in with your account, and follow these steps.
1. Select Tools from The Promise’s main menu.
2. Press TRAKT: Authorise.
3. Copy the authorization code.
4. Using a web browser, visit https://trakt.tv/activate and enter the authorization code. (You must be logged into your Trakt account)
5. Press Yes to link The Promise to your Trakt account.
Back in Kodi, you should see your Trakt username on The Promises’s settings menu.
If you’re not using the official Trakt add-on, you should activate Enable scrobble and change Set Resume Point to Trakt Scrobbles to synchronize your watched status with Trakt.
6. Adjust the Trakt settings according to your needs and press OK when you’re ready.
To access your Trakt collection, lists, and other Trakt features, use My Movies and My TV Shows categories on the add-on’s main menu.
4. Alternatives to The Promise
Looking for more add-ons? These are some of our favorite Kodi add-ons for August 2022.
Please visit our list of the best Kodi add-ons for more information.
|Seren: Premium sources. Excellent add-on with great user interface and many innovative functions.|
|Ezra: Premium sources. Based on Fen, this add-on has all the great features of its predecessor.|
|Umbrella: Premium sources. Great add-on based on Venom.|
|Fen: Premium sources. Fen is back! This add-on is very fast and offers many features.|
|The Promise: Free and Premium sources. Based on The Oath, has all the features from its predecessor.|
|The Crew: Free and premium sources. Great all-in-one add-on with many extra features for kids, sports, live TV, and more.|
|Scrubs v2: Free sources. Great add-on specialized in free sources.|
|Elementum: P2P sources. An exceptional add-on that offers high-quality streams using torrents.|