Seren is an addon for Kodi that allows you to stream movies and TV shows, it has been designed to provide a smooth experience when watching content with fast menus and innovative features like continuously playing episodes back-to-back like Netflix does, preemptive scrapping of sources, custom provider modules, cached torrents support and more.
You’ll need a premium account from Real Debrid or Premiumize to use Seren but it’s definitely worth it. It can also integrate with your Trakt.tv account to keep track of your favorite shows and display recommendations based on your preferences.
In this tutorial we’re going to install Seren on Kodi 18.x from its official source, we’ll also set up Real Debrid and we’ll show you some extra configurations, let’s begin.
Table of contents
Allowing 3rd party add-ons on Kodi
If this is the first time you install add-ons on Kodi you’ll have to allow the installation of 3rd party add-ons.
1. Press the cog icon near the top left corner of the Home Screen to open the Settings menu.
2. Select System.
3. Make sure the Add-ons tab is selected and enable Unknown sources and Show notifications.
Enabling Unknown sources will allow the installation of 3rd party add-ons that are not available in the official Kodi repository. Additionally, we recommend enabling Show notifications since most addons use them to display important information.
Adding Seren source to Kodi
Let’s add a link to the official source for Seren on Nixgates’ Github page so we can download and install the repository zip file.
4. Go back to the Settings menu and select File Manager.
5. Press Add Source.
6. Enter https://nixgates.github.io/packages/ on the top box and nixrepo on the bottom one. Press OK to add the source.
Installing Nixgates repository on Kodi
The repository is responsible for installing Seren and updating the add-on when new versions are available.
7. Go back to the Settings menu and select Add-ons.
8. Press Install from zip file.
9. Select nixrepo.
10. Click the file nixgates.repository.zip to download and install the repository.
Installing Seren Kodi add-on
Now that the repository is installed, let’s use it to download and install Seren and its dependencies.
11. Select Install from repository.
12. Click on Nixgates Repo to open the repository.
13. Select Video add-ons.
14. Now select Seren.
15. Press the Install button.
16. You’ll see a list of all the dependencies for Seren, click OK to continue and wait a couple of seconds for the process to finish.
If the YouTube configuration wizard comes up just press No to use its default settings.
17. Go back to the Home Screen, highlight the Add-ons tab and select Seren to open the addon.
We have installed Seren on Kodi but we still need to configure a couple of things. Seren requires a premium account from Real Debrid or Premiumize to work properly. We also must install a provider pack so Seren can find sources.
Setting up Real Debrid with Seren
Debrid services like Real Debrid and Premiumize offer unrestricted access to file hosters and cached torrents. When using cached torrents, your device will not connect directly to the p2p network, instead, Real Debrid will fetch the file for you and allow you to get it as a normal download.
In this example we’re going to use Real Debrid, a popular service to get access to cached torrents and various file hosters for a very low price.
18. Select Tools on Seren’s main menu.
19. Press Open Settings Menu.
20. Select the Accounts tab and click on Enable Real Debrid.
21. Scroll down and press Authorize Real Debrid…
22. Copy the authorization code.
23. Using a web browser visit https://real-debrid.com/device and enter the authorization code. (You must be logged into your Real Debrid account)
24. Type Seren and press Set that name.
Once Seren is authorized with Real Debrid you can close the browser and go back to Kodi.
25. Re-open the Settings Menu, select the Scraping tab, and set Preferred Cloud Location to Real Debrid. Press OK to continue.
We are almost done, next we will install the provider package.
Installing providers for Seren
The providers are responsible for finding files on hosting websites and cached torrents. We’re going to install the a4kScrapers provider pack.
26. Select Tools on Seren’s main menu.
27. Press Open Settings Menu.
28. Highlight the Providers tab and press Manage Provider Packages.
29. Now click on Install Provider Package.
30. Select Web Location…
31. Type http://bit.ly/a4kScrapers to install a4kScrapers. Press OK to continue.
32. Press the Install button to download and install the provider pack.
All Done! Now you’re ready to use Seren on Kodi.
Seren offers a click-and-play experience. When you select a movie or episode it’ll automatically search for sources and play the best one available without any interaction from the user.
You can set filters to make sure Seren won’t select a file that’s too large for your bandwidth or exclude low-quality files, go to Tools > Open Settings Menu > Sort & Filter tab and adjust the preferences to your liking.
If you want to use subtitles with Seren please read How to enable subtitles on Kodi.
[Optional] Manually select sources
It is possible to override the automatic selection of sources and have Seren show a list of all available sources to choose one manually.
To set manual selection of sources go to Tools on Seren’s main menu and select Open Settings Menu.
I. Make sure the Playback tab is selected and change Movie Play Style and Episode Play Style to Source Select. Press OK to save the settings.
[Optional] Setting up Trakt with Seren
Seren provides full Trakt integration to give you access to your Collection, lists and bookmarks. It also uses information on Trakt for its Smart Play features allowing it to automatically resume episodes and make suggestions based on your profile. Use your preferred browser to visit the Trakt.tv website and log in with your account.
I. Select Tools on Seren’s main menu.
II. Press Open Settings Menu.
III. Select the Accounts tab and click on Authorize Trakt…
IV. Copy the authorization code.
V. Using a web browser visit https://trakt.tv/activate and enter the authorization code. (You must be logged into your Trakt.tv account)
VI. Press Yes to link Seren to your Trakt account.
Back in Kodi, you’ll see a Successfully authenticated with Trakt dialog, press OK to continue. Wait while Seren synchronizes with your Trakt account.
Authorizing Trakt with Seren will enable the My Movies and My Shows sections on Seren’s main menu so you can interact with your Collection and lists, it will also enable other features like suggestions based on your preferences.