Quasar is a video addon for Kodi that uses BitTorrent, a peer-to-peer file-sharing protocol, to streams movies and TV shows in great video quality. Due to its P2P nature, Quasar uses both download and upload bandwidth while you are watching a video. Depending on your location, you might need a VPN to protect your privacy while using torrents.
In this guide, we’re going to install Quasar on Kodi. Let’s begin.
Quasar has not received updates in a while, it still works but we recommend using Elementum. Elementum is a fork of Quasar, it uses a new torrent engine with extended features like FAT32 support or streaming directly to RAM. Please read How to install Elementum on Kodi for more info.
Lets start by downloading Quasar’s zip file from its official site.
1. Go to Quasar’s official site and download the appropriate package for your system. Remember the folder where you downloaded the file, we’ll be using it later.
FireTV and most Android Boxes should download the Android arm package. Nvidia Shield and modern tablets/smartphones use the Android arm64 package. Raspberry Pi running Raspbian use the Linux arm v7 package. If you’re not sure about your device specifications just download the Universal package.
Preparing Kodi for Quasar
Before installing Quasar we must allow the use of 3rd-party addons on Kodi and we also need to allow Kodi to communicate with other applications so it can talk to the torrent engine.
2. Open the Settings menu by pressing the cog icon near the top left corner of the Home Screen.
3. Select System.
4. Select the Add-ons tab and enable Show notifications and Unknown sources.
Enabling Unknown sources will allow installation of 3rd party addons that are not available in the official Kodi repository, we also recommend enabling Show notifications since most addons use them to display important information.
5. Go back to the System menu and this time select Service.
6. Highlight the Control tab and activate Allow remote control from applications on other systems.
Installing Quasar on Kodi
Now we are ready to install Quasar on Kodi.
7. Go back to the Settings menu and select Add-ons.
8. Select Install from zip file.
9. Locate the installation file that we downloaded earlier and click on it to Install Quasar.
10. Quasar needs a folder to download files while streaming, go ahead and create a folder on your hard drive. Return to Kodi when you’re ready and press OK to continue.
11. Quasar’s Settings Dialog will open. Click on Download path (not FAT32) and select the folder you just created, then press OK.
12. Wait a couple of seconds and you’ll be prompted to install Quasar Burst. Burst is a multi-provider addon responsible for searching torrents on several websites. Press Yes to install Quasar Burst.
Sometime Quasar Burst fails to install. If the automatic installation fails you’ll have to do it manually. Please read How to install Quasar Burst for more information.
[Optional] Quasar Web Interface
There’s a useful web interface to remotely manage your torrents from a smartphone or other devices on your local network.
I. Using your browser go to http://kodi_local_IP_address:65251/web/ to access Quasar WebUI.