OpenMeta is an add-on for Kodi that allows you to find movies and TV shows. It doesn’t search for sources itself, instead, it lets you choose the add-on to play the content, removing the need to navigate through several menus on different add-ons. In other words, it’s a very convenient centralized menu for all your installed add-ons.
In this tutorial, we’re going to install OpenMeta on Kodi using its official source, the Addons4Kodi repository.
Table of contents
Adding the Addons4Kodi source
Let’s start by adding a link to the OpenMeta’s official source on addons4Kodi’s server, this will allow us to download the repository zip file directly from Kodi.
1. Press the cog icon near the top left corner to open the System menu.
2. Select File Manager.
3. Press Add source.
4. Type https://a4k-openproject.github.io/ on the top box and addons4kodi on the bottom one. Press OK to continue.
Install Addons4Kodi repository
The repository is responsible for installing and updating OpenMeta.
5. Go back to the System menu and select Add-ons.
6. Tap on Install from zip file.
If this is your first time installing add-ons on Kodi, you’ll see an “unknown sources disabled” notification, press the Settings button and enable Unknown sources and also Show notifications.
7. Now select addons4kodi.
8. Click on repository.addons4kodi-x.x.zip to download and install the repository.
Install OpenMeta add-on
Now it’s time to install the add-on itself.
9. Select Install from repository.
10. Tap on Addons4Kodi Repository.
11. Select Video add-ons.
12. Now select OpenMeta.
13. Press the Install button.
14. You’ll see a list of dependencies that’ll be installed with the add-on. Press OK and wait a couple of seconds for the process to finish.
Now that OpenMeta is installed on Kodi you’ll need a couple of add-ons to find sources and play the content. We installed some of our favorite add-ons, if you need help installing add-ons please check our guides on Exodus Redux, Seren, Yoda or Elementum, take a moment to install a couple of those. If you already installed your favorite add-ons keep reading.
Setting up OpenMeta Players
OpenMeta uses small pieces of code called players to interact with other add-ons. You only need to do this once after installing OpenMeta to allow it to recognize all your installed add-ons.
15. Go back to the Home Screen, there’s a shortcut to OpenMeta on the Add-ons tab. Click on it to open the add-on.
16. Select Settings from OpenMeta’s main menu.
17. Make sure the General tab is selected and check that Players URL is set to the current URL (https://bit.ly/openplayers). Select Total setup…
18. Press Yes to update the players.
If you install new add-ons after installing OpenMeta you’ll have to run the Total setup again to allow it to install their corresponding players.
Playing content with OpenMeta
We installed and configured OpenMeta, it’s time to play some content. Use the menu to find a movie or TV show, once you’ve made your selection you’ll see a dialog that lets you select an add-on to play the content.
19. OpenMeta’s add-on selection dialog.
[Optional] Setup Trakt with OpenMeta
OpenMeta can integrate with your Trakt.tv account so you can get access to all your lists and collections.
I. Press Settings on OpenMeta’s main menu.
II. Select the Trakt tab and click on Authenticate Trakt…
III. Copy the authentication code.
IV. Using a web browser go to https://trakt.tv/activate and enter the authentication code. (You must be logged in to Trakt.tv with your account).
V. Press Yes to allow OpenMeta to use your Trakt account.
VI. Use My Trakt on OpenMeta’s main menu to access your lists and collection.