The Netflix Kodi add-on offers a convenient way to access Netflix’s extensive catalog of movies and TV shows directly on Kodi. This add-on is not officially developed by Netflix itself, but it offers a lot of great features like access to multiple profiles, recommendations, library integration, watched status synchronization, high-resolution playback (on supported devices), Up Next add-on integration to play episodes continuously, and more.
In this step-by-step guide, we’re going to install the unofficial Netflix add-on on Kodi. Please note that this add-on requires a Netflix account. Let’s begin.
Table of contents
Allowing 3rd party add-ons on Kodi
If this is the first time you install add-ons on Kodi you’ll have to allow the installation of 3rd party add-ons.
1. Press the cog icon near the top left corner of the Home Screen to open the Settings menu.
2. Select System.
3. Select the Add-ons tab, enable Unknown Sources and Show notifications.
Enabling Unknown sources will allow the installation of 3rd party add-ons that are not available in the official Kodi repository. Additionally, we recommend enabling Show notifications since most addons use them to display important information.
Adding a link to the add-on source
Let’s add a link to the add-on’s source on CastagnaIT’s GitHub page so we can download and install the repository zip file.
4. Go back to the Settings menu and select File Manager.
5. Press Add source.
6. Enter https://castagnait.github.io/repository.castagnait/ on the top box and netflix on the bottom one. Press OK to add the source.
Installing CastagnaIT repository
The repository is responsible of installing and updating the add-on. Let’s use the newly added source to install the repo.
7. Go back to the Settings menu and select Add-ons.
8. Press Install from zip file.
9. Select netflix.
10. Click on repository.castagnait-x.x.x.zip to download and install the repository.
Installing Netflix add-on on Kodi
Now that the repository is installed, let’s use it to install Netflix and its dependencies.
11. Select Install from repository.
12. Click on CastagnaIT Repository for Kodi18.x (LEIA) to open the repository.
13. Select Video add-ons.
14. Now Select Netflix.
15. Press the Install button.
16. Select the latest version of the add-on.
17. You will see a list of dependencies that will be installed with the add-on. Press OK to continue and wait until the process ends.
18. Go back to the Home Screen, highlight the Add-ons tab, and select Netflix to open the add-on.
We have installed Netflix on Kodi but we still need to set up an account.
Setting up your Netflix account
When you open the add-on for the first time it’ll launch its configuration wizard.
19. Netflix requires the InputStream Adaptive add-on, you’ll be prompted to install it now. Press Yes to continue.
20. You must enter your Netflix credentials, select E-Mail/Password.
21. Type your email.
22. Now enter your password.
Log in problems and Authentication Key method
Recently, Netflix made some changes to their website causing log in errors when using the addon. If you get the “Incorrect Password” message, you’ll have to use the Authentication Key method.
To use this method, you must download and run a small script. The script will open a web browser and it’ll ask you to log in to Netflix so it can capture the authentication key on a file that will be used with the addon. Go to the addon’s wiki on Github to download the script and follow the instructions.
Some antivirus may flag the script as malware, you can read more about it here.
Using the Netflix add-on with Kodi
Now we are ready to use the add-on.
23. Select a profile.
24. Use the addon’s main menu to navigate the categories and choose a movie or show.
Netflix uses a special encryption protocol to play 1080p and 4K videos, if your device supports this protocol you’ll be prompted to install the Widevine CDM add-on and you’ll be able to watch high-resolution videos. Some Android boxes are not Widevine compatible and will only play 720p videos.
Looking for more add-ons? These are our favorite Kodi add-ons for January 2021.
|The Crew: Free and premium sources. Popular add-on with lots of features like sports, radio, kids section, and more.|
|Tempest: Free and premium sources. Great multi-scraper add-on with extra features.|
|Venom: Premium sources. Very popular multi-scraper add-on based on Exodus. Requires a Debrid account.|
|Seren: Premium sources. Excellent add-on with great user interface and many innovative features. Requires Debrid Account.|
|Elementum: P2P sources. An excellent add-on that offers high-quality streams using torrents.|