Kaito lets you watch HD anime on Kodi. Based on Seren and WonderfulSubs, Kaito offers great features like continuous episode playback, anime airing calendar, subbed and dubbed categories, skip intro and play next episode dialogs, and more.
This add-on scrapes sources from Nyan and uses cached-torrents to stream videos. You need a premium account from Real Debrid, Premiumize, or All Debrid to use Kaito on Kodi.
In this guide, we are going to install Kaito on Kodi 19 Matrix. Let’s get started!
Table of contents
- 1. Install Kaito on Kodi
- 2. Customize Kaito
- 3. Kaito Settings Overview
1. Install Kaito on Kodi
If this is your first time installing add-ons on Kodi, you will need to allow the installation of unofficial add-ons. Please read How to allow 3rd-party add-ons on Kodi and come back here when you’re ready.
1.1 Add the source
Let’s add a link to Kaito’s official source on the SwagOtaku GitHub page, this will allow us to download the repository zip file directly on Kodi.
1. Press the cog icon near the top left corner of the screen.
2. Select File manager.
3. Press Add source.
4. Enter https://swagotaku.github.io/repo/ in the top box and SwagOtaku on the bottom one. Press OK to add the source.
1.2 Install the repository
SwagOtaku is the official repository for Kaito. The repository is responsible for installing Kaito and updating it when a new version is available. We are going to use the newly added source to download and install the repo.
5. Go back to the Settings menu and this time select Add-ons.
6. Click on Install from zip file.
On Kodi 19, you’ll see a message about the auto-update feature. Press Yes to proceed.
7. Select SwagOtaku.
8. Click on repository.swagotaku-x.x.x.zip to download and install the repository.
1.3 Install Kaito add-on
Now that the repository is installed, let’s use it to download and install Kaito and its dependencies on Kodi.
9. Press Install from repository.
10. Select SwagOtaku repo.
11. Press Video add-ons.
12. Select Kaito.
13. Press the Install button.
14. You’ll see a list of dependencies to be installed with the add-on. Press OK to continue and wait for the process to finish.
15. Go back to the Home Screen and select the Add-ons tab, press Kaito to open the add-on.
1.4 Authorize Real Debrid
Debrid services offer unrestricted access to file hosters and cached torrents. When using cached torrents, your device will not connect directly to the p2p network, instead, Real Debrid will fetch the file for you and allow you to get it as a normal download.
Kaito requires a premium account from Real Debrid, Premiumize, or All Debrid to work.
In this example we’re going to use Real Debrid, a popular service to get access to cached torrents and various file hosters for a very low price.
16. Select Tools on Kaito’s main menu.
17. Press Open Settings Menu.
18. Select the Accounts tab and click on Enable Real Debrid.
19. Press Authorize Real-Debrid…
20. Copy the authorization code.
21. Using a web browser, visit https://real-debrid.com/device and enter the authorization code. (You must be logged into your Real Debrid account).
22. Type Kaito and Press Set that name.
Once Kaito is authorized with Real Debrid you can close the browser and go back to Kodi.
23. All Done! Now you’re ready to watch anime on Kodi with Kaito.
2. Customize Kaito
Let’s take a look at some customizations, there are suggestions that users might find useful, specially the Watchlist feature that allows you to synchronize your watched status on the cloud.
2.1 How to open the Settings Menu on Kaito
1. Select Tools on Kaito’s main menu.
2. Press Open Settings Menu.
2.2 Change anime title language
You can choose to display anime titles in English or Romaji (Japanese with Roman characters).
1. Go to the General Tab and change Title Language according to your preferences. Press OK to save the changes.
2.3 Manually selecting sources
By default, Kaito will automatically pick a source to play. You can change the Play Style settings to see a list of available sources and select one manually.
1. Go to the Playback Tab, change Movie Play Style and Episode Play Style to Source Select. Press OK to save the changes.
2.4 Synchronize watchlist with AniList
1. Go to the Watchlist Tab and activate Enable AniList.
2. Press Click to authorize…
Follow the on-screen instructions to authorize your account.
For AniList, you’ll have to visit the URL shown on screen to get your authorization token. Once you got the token, go back to Kodi and enter your username, authorization token and press the Authorize button.
3. Go back to the Watchlist Tab, enable Update Watchlist and set Watchlist to update to AniList. Press OK to save the changes.
4. Your custom watchlist will appear on top of the Kaito main menu.
3. Kaito Settings Overview
Finally, we are going to take a look at the Settings Menu on Kaito. The Settings Menu contains 5 categories: General, Playback, Sort & Filter, Accounts, and Watchlists.
To open the Settings Menu go to Kaito’s main menu, select Tools, and press on Open Settings Menu.
Change the anime title language and other interface settings.
|Title Language||Romanji / English|
|Enable Search History||Yes / No|
|Separate Subs and Dubs||(off)|
|Set Content Types||(off)|
|Language Invoker Options|
|Re-Use Language Invoker Status||Disabled|
|Toggle Re-Use Language Invoker|
Choose between selecting sources or auto-playing videos, customize the Playing Next, and Skip Intro dialogs.
|Movie Play Style (1)||Source Select / Auto Play|
|Episode Play Style (1)||Source Select / Auto Play|
|Auto try next link on resolve failure (Source Select)||(On)|
|Preferred Audio Stream (Dual Audio)||jpn / eng|
|Playing Next Dialog|
|Enable Playing Next Dialog||(On)|
|– Minimum Seconds Left Before Showing Dialog||90|
|– Default Action if Nothing Selected||Play / Pause|
|Skip Intro Dialog|
|Enable Skip Intro Dialog||(On)|
|– Seconds to skip||86|
(1) When playing content, Source Select will display a lists of all the found sources and it’ll let you choose a file to play, on the other hand, Auto Play will automatically play the first source on the list.
3.3 Sort & Filter
You can Customize max resolution and other sorting options. You should adjust the filters according to your preferences if you’re using Auto Play.
|Max Resolution||4K / 1080p / 720p / NA|
|Hide HEVC items (1)||(Off)|
|Hide Dub Sources (2)||(Off)|
|Sort Sources Method||Torrents / Embeds|
|Enable Tertiary Dub Sort Preference (3)||(Off)|
(1) Use Hide HEVC items on old devices that aren’t capable of decoding x265 video. If playback stutters a lot and audio gets out of sync frequently try enabling this option.
(2) Use Hide Dub Sources to remove dubbed videos from scraped sources and keep only files with original language audio.
(3) Enable Tertiary Dub Sort Preference will give priority to dubbed videos, use this together with Auto Play if you prefer watching dubbed anime.
Authorize your Debrid account.
|– Premiumize Priority||10|
|– Inspect Cloud Files on Scrape||(Off)|
|– Real-Debrid Priority||10|
|– Inspect Cloud Files on Scrape||(Off)|
Set up your AniList, Kitsu, or MyAnimeList account to track watched episodes and access your custom anime lists.
|– Watchlist to update||MAL / Kitsu / AniList|
|– Click to Authorize…|
|– Sort by:||Progress / Last Updated / Last Added / Score|
|– Click to Login…|
|– Sort by:||Title / Date Updated / Progress|
|– How titles will be displayed||Canonical / Romanized / English|
|– Click to Authorize…|
|– Sort by:||Anime Title / List Score / Last Updated / Anime Start Date|
Looking for more add-ons? These are some of our favorite Kodi add-ons for January 2022.
Please visit our list of the best Kodi add-ons for more information.
|The Crew: Free and premium sources. Very popular add-on with many extra features like live sports and more. (Kodi 19 Matrix & 18 Leia)|
|The Oath: Free and premium sources. Great add-on based on Exodus. (Kodi 19 Matrix & 18 Leia)|
|Seren: Premium sources. Excellent add-on with great user interface and many innovative features. (Kodi 19 Matrix & 18 Leia)|
|Venom: Premium sources. Very popular add-on with great features. (Kodi 19 Matrix & 18 Leia)|
|Elementum: P2P sources. An excellent add-on that offers high-quality streams using torrents. (Kodi 19 Matrix & 18 Leia)|